How to Use Keyword Gaps for Better SEO
SEO keyword research covers a variety of keyword topics related to organic search traffic, keyword intent, keyword difficulty, and so on. Keyword gaps are among the things that are often overlooked but can be extremely helpful in identifying keyword opportunities for websites. By understanding keyword gaps, site owners can improve SEO keywords by targeting terms that are easier to rank for and have less competition.
Keyword gap analysis is a process of identifying which queries a website is not ranking for or ranks poorly. This can be an important part of Search Engine Optimisation (SEO) as it can help ensure that products and related information are visible in organic results.
The approach of analysing content is sometimes known as “content analysis”, but it’s a more comprehensive technique that includes detecting missing pages such as FAQs and missing phases in the sales funnel, as well as keyword gaps.
Who Can Benefit From a Keyword Gap Analysis?
A keyword gap analysis may be beneficial to a variety of people and enterprises, including:
- Bloggers and e-commerce entrepreneurs
- Marketing, digital marketing, and e-commerce departments
- SEO consultants and firms
- Small to large online enterprises
Reasons to Perform a Keyword Gap Analysis
A keyword gap analysis is done for a number of reasons, including:
- Improve search rankings. Conducting a keyword gap analysis can help one discover profitable keywords that their competitors are using to gain traffic. Businesses can then utilise those keywords in their own content and improve their rankings.
- Generate new content ideas. This process can be challenging if site users have already exhausted all their previous ideas. Having a keyword gap analysis can help one come up with new ideas for their site content.
- Ensure content is optimised. It’s critical to compare one’s content against competitors. Doing so will help to see what they’re doing differently and where they excel. This can be helpful in figuring out how to improve one’s own content, be it the structure or length. Additionally, this is an easy way to get insights on how to improve your content strategy.
- Help better understand one’s target audience, even growing them. A keyword gap analysis can help one discover new keywords that could potentially help connect with their target audience by addressing unmet needs. Additionally, by using keywords from competitor sites, there is a chance to “steal” some of their audience share. Ultimately, this analysis can give greater insights into how to better reach and understand one’s target market.
How to Perform a Keyword Gap Analysis
Conducting a keyword gap analysis is a straightforward process that provides SEOs with a wealth of benefits. By taking note of these simple steps, one can improve their content, increase traffic, and outrank competitors:
Find a strong competitor
One of the major goals of a keyword gap analysis is to outrank one’s competition. To do this, one has to know who their competitors are and then pick which competitor to focus on. This can be based on size, website traffic, ranking position, etc.
Find the right keywords to target
After finding a suitable competitor, it’s recommended to start analysing their keyphrases and choose the best ones to target. Look for SEO keywords found on their title tags, meta descriptions, headers, page content, alt tags, and more.
Organise your keywords
After compiling a sizable list of appropriate keywords, it helps to organise them to make further analysis more efficient.
This step is where one should try to find the keyword opportunities that they have been missing out on. One must carefully analyse the keywords they’ve gathered and determine whether or not these would fit into their current campaign or align with their goals.
Re-optimise your content
With all the new keywords ready, the next step is to re-optimise old content. Doing so is crucial since research shows that 76 per cent of all blog traffic comes from old articles.
Track your performance
Finally, after re-optimisation, one should carefully track any improvements in terms of traffic and successful conversions to see if the changes are indeed working.
Some Convenient Tools for Content Analysis
The quickest way to discover keyword gaps is to look for search terms that direct competitors rank for, but the user’s website does not.
Keyword gap analysis is made easy with two premium tools, Semrush and Ahrefs. These tools allow site owners to see the keywords that competitors are ranking for that they do not. This is valuable information because it allows users to adjust their keyword strategy in order to better compete for those terms.
Semrush examines the keywords for both organic and paid searches. Just enter the domain or subdomain along with those of up to five competitors. The more competitors included, the more opportunities Semrush uncovers. This provides a list of “Top Opportunities” as well as a Venn diagram for “Keyword Overlap”.
It’s also possible to compare rankings on a domain or URL level. The latter is beneficial for firms that have numerous rivals in each sector.
Ahrefs provides an in-depth keyword gap analysis, similar to Semrush. Users can search for keywords based on the domain, subdomain, URL, or directory to get the right options for their needs.
One helpful feature of Ahrefs is the ability to select the number of keyword overlaps with competitors. This can be useful in order to identify which queries a competitor ranks for, but one’s website does not.
Dominate the Ranking Competition through Keyword Gap Analysis
Keyword gaps can offer a unique opportunity for businesses to dominate the ranking competition in their industry. By understanding which keywords your competitors are targeting that you are not, you can create content around those keywords and improve your chances of outranking them in search engine results pages (SERPs). With professional help from position1seo.co.uk, conducting a keyword gap analysis can be a quick and easy way to set your business up for success.
We offer services such as keyword gap analysis, B2B SEO keyword research, and more to ensure you are targeting all the relevant keywords for your industry, allowing you to dominate the SERPs. With many years of experience in the industry under our belts, you can rest assured that you are getting the best service possible.
Position1SEO is a team of dedicated professionals who are passionate about helping our clients succeed. We provide top SEO services, including SEO keyword research, link building, and on-page optimisation. We also offer a range of other digital marketing services to help you achieve your business goals.
If you want to dominate the ranking competition in your industry, contact Position1SEO today and find out how we can help you. You may reach us by calling 0141 404 7515 or emailing email@example.com for a free consultation.