What Is The Impact Of Changing Domains On Your SEO Efforts
A website’s visibility is essential, and webmasters spend a lot of time enhancing it through search engine optimisation techniques. At some point, they may decide that changing domains is the best choice, whether for a company rebrand or to acquire a popular TLD. Unfortunately, this process can harm search engine rankings because it resets your domain metrics, undoing any growth your previous domain had.
Thankfully, there is a guide developed by MOZ to help minimise the adverse effects of changing domains on your website’s SEO.
- Make a sitemap of your old domain.
- Develop content for your new domain.
- Make your new domain live.
- Get both your old and new domains verified and registered using Google Webmaster Tools.
- Enable 404 pages that recommend going to the new URL to inform your visitors about the transition.
- In a development environment, test your links and ensure a 1:1 redirect.
- Implement a 301 redirect to the new domain.
- Submit your old sitemap to search engines to let them crawl old URLs.
- Use Google Webmaster Tools to change your website address.
- Make a new sitemap and submit it to Google and Bing to ensure that all URLs have been verified.
- Google Webmaster Tools and Bing Webmaster Center will diagnose and fix any errors with your sitemap.
Then, monitor your search engine results after changing domains and ensure that your domain is stable.
The information in this blog post was taken from https://www.searchenginewatch.com/2019/09/19/how-changing-domains-challenge-seo/. Visit this link to know more about the topic.
Having the services of a competent SEO company will go a long way in increasing your brand’s visibility. Avail of high-quality professional SEO services from Position1SEO to get started.